Enforce your restraining order

Now that you have a restraining order, you may need to enforce it if the restrained person violates the order. Enforce usually means to call the police to report a violation. The restrained person can go to jail or pay a fine if convicted of violating your restraining order.

Call 9-1-1 if you want the police to enforce your restraining order.


Keep a copy on you at all times

You should have a copy of form DV-130 with you at all times. If you have a phone, use your phone to take a picture of all the pages so you always have proof of it. 

Give copies of the order to other people who may need it

If you want other people to know about your restraining order and help you enforce it, give them a copy. Here are some examples: 

  • Your child's school or childcare, if your restraining order protects your child or your child’s records. 

  • Your child’s doctor or other healthcare provider, if your restraining order limits the other parent’s access to your child’s records. 

  • Your employer, if you are worried about being harassed or abused at work. 

  • Local Police Department: You can give a paper copy to your local police department. This is optional because all law enforcement have access to restraining orders through a law enforcement database. 

This may mean that your restraining order has not been entered into a law enforcement database, known as CLETS. The first step is to see if your restraining order has been signed by a judge and filed in our case. Check with your local Self-Help Center for help.

Find help or resources for domestic violence

There are resources to help you if you've experience domestic violence or abuse. 

One resource is the National Domestic Violence Hotline. They are available 24/7 and can tell you more about local resources.

Call 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or chat at thehotline.org

TTY 1-800-787-3224

What's Next?

success alert banner:

Have a question about DVRO?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.