The CARE Act allows certain adult people to ask (petition) a court to create a voluntary CARE agreement or a court-ordered CARE plan for someone with untreated schizophrenia or other psychotic disorders. A CARE agreement or plan may include treatment, housing resources, and other services.

The following 9 counties currently accept CARE petitions:

You must explore all other options before starting the CARE process

Although this guide is about the CARE Act, you should only use the CARE Act process if there are no other options that would limit the person less than the CARE Act and still meet their needs. Explore other options here.

What if I don't speak English? 

You can use Request for Interpreter—Civil (form INT-300) or a local court form or website to request an interpreter. For more information about court interpreters, click here.

What if I have a disability?

If you have a disability and need an accommodation while you are at court, you can use Disability Accommodation Request (form MC-410) to make your request. You can also ask the ADA Coordinator in your court for help. For more information, see How to Request a Disability Accommodation for Court (form MC-410-INFO).