Enforce your restraining order

Now that you have an elder or dependent adult abuse restraining order, you may need to enforce it if the restrained person violates the order. Enforce usually means to call the police to report a violation. The restrained person can go to jail or pay a fine if convicted of violating the restraining order.

Call 9-1-1 if you want the police to enforce the restraining order.


Keep a copy on you at all times

You should have a copy of form EA-130 with you at all times. If you have a phone, use your phone to take a picture of all the pages so you always have proof of it. 

Call 9-1-1 if you want the police to enforce your restraining order.

Your restraining order is enforceable (will be honored) in all 50 states and U.S. territories, the District of Columbia (D.C.), and all tribal lands.

Give copies of the order to other people who may need it

Anyone can report a violation of a restraining order. If you want other people to know about your restraining order and help you enforce it, give them a copy. Here are some examples:

  • Your care facility, if you visit or live in a care facility or hospital.
  • Your family members, friends, and doctor, if you are worried about abuse by a caregiver.
  • Local Police Department: You can give a paper copy to your local police department. This is optional because all law enforcement have access to restraining orders through a law enforcement database.
This may mean that your restraining order has not been entered into a law enforcement database, known as CLETS. The first step is to see if your restraining order has been signed by a judge and filed in your case. Check with your local Self-Help Center for help.

Find help or resources for an elder or dependent adult

There are resources to help protect the elderly and dependent adults from abuse.

For information and help with safety planning, contact:

success alert banner:

Have a question about Elder abuse restraining order?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.