Pick up court papers from the clerk

After you file your forms, a judge will review your court papers to decide whether to give temporary protection, if you asked for it. After the judge decides, you'll need to go back to the courthouse to pick up your court papers. 

Read the judge's orders

Once you pick up your forms, read the forms to see what the judge ordered.

You have a court date. Look at form EA-109 to see when and where your court date is.

If the judge signed form EA-110, this means there is a temporary restraining order.

  • The orders granted on form EA-110 only last until the court date. You must go to your court date if you want the court to grant a long-term restraining order.
  • Keep a copy of the signed EA-110 form with you at all times, and with the elder or dependent adult or their caregivers if you filed to protect someone else. If you have a phone, you can also use your phone to take a picture of all the pages so you always have proof of it. Having a copy of your restraining order will help if you or someone else needs to call the police to report a violation.
What if the judge only granted some of the orders I asked for?
The orders you received now are temporary and will expire at the time of your court date. At your court date, the judge can still grant any of the orders you requested on form EA-100. If you have more information (videos, pictures, additional events) that you want the judge to know about, contact your local Self-Help Center for help.

If the judge did not grant you a temporary restraining order, the judge can still grant you a restraining order at your court date. If you still want a restraining order, you will need to follow all the steps in the process, including having the other side served. If you no longer want a restraining order, get free help at your local Self-Help Center or talk to a lawyer to learn how to cancel it.

There are people that can help you come up with a safety plan to keep someone safe at home, work, and online. To learn more about creating a plan, see our resources page.



If you filed papers asking for protection for an elder or dependent adult other than yourself, you will need to give a copy of the papers to the elder or dependent adult. If you need help giving them a copy of the papers or if you think they will need help coming to court for the court date, call Adult Protective Services to see how they can help. This must be done in addition to serving the other side.

Serving your court papers

What's next?

After you get a court date for your restraining order, you must have someone give a copy of your court papers to the person you need protection from (the other side in your case). This is called serving court papers.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Elder abuse restraining order?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.