Enforce a gun violence restraining order

Now that a gun violence restraining order is in effect, you may need to enforce it if the restrained person has, buys, or uses firearms (guns), firearm parts, ammunition, or magazines. Enforce usually means calling the police to report a violation. The restrained person may go to jail or pay a fine.

Call 9-1-1 if you want the police to enforce your restraining order.


Give copies of the order to local law enforcement

You can give a paper copy of the restraining order to your local police department. This is optional because all law enforcement officers have access to restraining orders through a law enforcement database. 

If you need a restraining order that includes more protection there are other types of restraining orders you can ask for to keep the person from coming near you or contacting you.

This may mean that your restraining order has not been entered into a law enforcement database, known as CLETS. The first step is to see if your restraining order has been signed by a judge and filed in your case. Check with your local Self-Help Center for help.

Report restraining order violations

If you learn that the restrained person has, buys, or uses firearms (guns), firearm parts, ammunition, or magazines after the court issues the restraining order, you can call 9-1-1 to report a violation. Tell them that there is a gun violence restraining order in effect. Anyone, not just the person who applied for the order, can call 9-1-1 to enforce the restraining order.

Find help or resources for safety planning

There are resources to help you if you're concerned about your safety. For information and help with safety planning, contact:

More resources are available on our resources page.

What's Next?

success alert banner:

Have a question about Gun violence restraining order?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.