Respond to parental obligations (child support) case

To respond to the Summons and Complaint Regarding Parental Obligations (form FL-600), your first step is to fill out an Answer form. You write in this form if you agree or disagree with what the LCSA is asking for. When you're done, you file your Answer with the court.

Before you start

Make sure you meet your deadline

If you don’t file an Answer within 30 days of getting the Summons and Complaint form, the LCSA can ask for a default. The proposed Judgment (form FL-680) will likely become final. 

If it's been more than 30 days, check with the court to see if the LCSA got a default. If there isn’t a default, you can still file an Answer. If there is a default, talk to a lawyer or a Family Law Facilitator to learn more about your options.

Find out more about child support and parentage

  • Learn the basics about child support and parentage (laws about who a child's legal parents are)
  • Talk to a Family Law Facilitator at your court. A Law Facilitator offers information about child support and parentage and helps with forms. Their services are free.
Look at the Summon and Complaint you received. The LCSA will not check "establish parentage" next to a child's name in item 1 on Page 1 if there's already a legal determination you are the child's legal parent. This means there's a judgment (final court order) that says you are the child's legal parent, you're married to the other parent, or you signed a Voluntary Declaration of Parentage or Paternity (VDOP).

If you think that is not correct and you are not the child's legal parent, talk to a lawyer or Family Law Facilitator as soon as possible to find out your options. If you signed a VDOP, it may be possible to have the VDOP canceled. But, you must act quickly. Having a judgment undone (set aside) is very difficult and there are strict deadlines. 

How to respond to parental obligations (child support) case

  • Fill out the Answer form

    Fill out an Answer to Complaint or Supplemental Complaint Regarding Parental Obligations (form FL-610). If you think you are not the child's parent, or are not sure, and want to ask for a genetic (DNA) test to make sure, check the box that says "no" next to the child's name.

    If you disagree with the amount of support requested, you can also fill out an Income and Expense Declaration (form FL-150). This is optional. The LCSA and the court will use this information to help calculate child support.

    Since you are the one responding, you’re called the Respondent. The one who started the case, the LCSA, is the Petitioner

  • Make copies of the Answer and any other form

    Make 3 copies of the Answer and any other forms you filled out, along with any attachments.  One copy will be for you.  Another copy will be for the LCSA and the third copy is for the child's other parent. The original is for the court.

  • File your Answer with the court

    To file your forms with the court:

    • Give the original and the 3 copies to the court clerk  

    There is no fee to file an Answer in an LCSA case. 

    The clerk will: 

    • Stamp the forms 

    • Keep the original form and return the copies to you 

    Yes, you can file by mail. Mail your original and 3 copies to the clerk. You need to include a self-addressed stamped envelope so the clerk can mail your copies back to you. If you do not include a self-addressed, stamped envelope you will have to go to the courthouse to pick up your copies.  

    Some courts allow online filing (called e-file). You can find out if your court has online filing by visiting your court’s website.  

Respond to a parental obligation (child support) case

What's next?

Once you've filed your Answer, you need to have someone deliver (serve) your Answer to the LCSA and the child's other parents.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Govt. Child Support?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.