Finalize your divorce

To finish your divorce or legal separation, you must turn in a set of final forms. If you have any court orders or an agreement, you submit those as well. The court will review these forms to be sure nothing is missing and no mistakes on the forms. If not, the judge will sign the final form (the judgment). If you asked for a divorce, the judgment will state the exact day your marriage or domestic partnership officially ends.

The steps you need to take and forms you need to fill out vary a bit depending on:

  • If there's a default 
  • If you have a written agreement 
  • If your final orders address child custody or child support

Answer 2 questions and get the right instructions for finishing your divorce based on your situation. 

Get instructions

At a glance

The process for finalizing a divorce

These are the general steps to finish your divorce whether or not you have a default, an agreement, or had a trial.

Get step-by-step instructions based on your specific situation

  • Fill out forms

    Fill out the final order to end your marriage (a Judgment) along with other forms. 

  • Submit forms to the clerk

    Make copies of the forms and prepare return envelopes. Mail or bring the forms and envelopes to the court clerk.

  • Wait

    A judge must review your forms. If everything is correct, the judge will sign.

  • Receive signed judgment

    You will receive the signed judgment in the mail or pick it up at the court.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Divorce?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.