Finish your divorce after a trial 

To finish your divorce or legal separation, you must turn in a set of final forms to the court. The court will review these forms. If nothing is missing, the judge will sign the final paper in your divorce or legal separation (the judgment). 

How to prepare forms after a divorce trial

  • Fill out forms

    • Judgment (form FL-180)

      This is the final court order to get a divorce. Attach the judge's decisions from your trial to this form.

    • Notice of Entry of Judgment (form FL-190)

      The court will mail this form back to you after the judge has signed the judgment. It’s the official notice from the court that your divorce or legal separation is final. If you asked for a divorce, it will state the day your marriage or domestic partnership officially ends.

  • Fill out and attach forms with court orders

    Attach the judge's decision to your Judgment form.

    For spousal support, attach:  

    • Spousal, Partner, or Family Support Order Attachment (form FL-343)

    This states the judge's decision about spousal support.

    • Spousal or Domestic Partner Support Factors Under Family Code Section 4320-Attachment (form FL-349). 

    The judge uses this to show the 4320 factors they considered before making a decision about long-term support.

    • Earnings Assignment Order for Spousal or Partner Support (form FL-435)

    This is optional. Submit this form if you want your spouse’s employer to send the support to you directly from your spouse’s pay.

    For property orders, attach:

    This states the judge's decision about your property.

  • Find out if you have local requirements

    Contact your court clerk’s office, check your court’s website, or talk to your Family Law Facilitator or Self-Help Center.

    Ask if they have any other forms you need to use and how many envelopes you need to provide when you turn in your forms.

    Find a self help center
  • Make copies

    Make 3 copies of your papers.    

    You will give the original and two copies to the clerk.     

    Keep the third copy with you in case you need it.

  • Prepare envelopes

    You need 2 envelopes, with postage. The envelope needs to be big enough to hold copies of all your judgment forms and have enough postage.

    Address one envelope to you, the other your spouse.

    If the court approves your Judgment, the Clerk will mail a copy of the Judgment and the Notice of Entry of Judgment to you and your spouse.

    Some courts require a separate small envelope for the Notice of Entry of Judgment. Contact the court clerk or Self-Help Center if you haven't already to be sure. 
  • Submit forms

    Turn in the original and two copies of your forms to the court clerk.    

    The clerk will process your paperwork and give it to a judge to review. This may take a week or even months. Ask the clerk what the usual time is to process. 

  • Get judgment forms back 

    If everything required is there, a judge will sign your judgment. The clerk will:   

    • Stamp the Judgment and the Notice of Entry of Judgment “filed”   

    • Mail you a copy of the stamped forms   

    If something missing or wrong, you will get the forms back, not signed or stamped, with information about what’s missing.

When you receive the Notice of Entry of Judgment marked "filed," your divorce or legal separation is complete. If you asked for a divorce, the Notice will state the date your marriage or domestic partnership officially ends.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Divorce?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.