Resources for teens considering emancipation

Legal resources

Get support and help to plan for safety

Legal options for minors living away from parents

  • Caregiver's Authorization Affidavit

    If you are temporarily living with an adult caregiver, they can sign this form, without going to court, to help you enroll in school and get medical care.

  • Legal guardianship

    The court can grant custody of a child to an adult who is not the child’s parent through a legal guardianship case.

  • Special Immigrant Youth Status

    Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) is a way for immigrant youth (under 21 years old) who have been separated from or harmed to get legal status in the United States.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Emancipation?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.