Get the order recognizing your gender change

If the judge approves your request to recognize your gender change, you will get an order. That’s the document you will use to change your gender marker or sex identifier on all your legal documents.

Before you start

If you didn't turn in your Order Recognizing Change of Gender and Sex Identifier (form NC-330), you'll need to now.

When you filed your case, the clerk should have told you when to return to pick up your  Order Recognizing Change of Gender and Sex Identifier (form NC-330). At that time, the clerk either kept your Order form or told you to hold on to it. If you were told to hold on to it, do it now. 

How to get a signed and filed Order

  • Get your Order from the court clerk

    Go to the clerk’s office when the clerk told you to, usually at least 6 weeks after you filed your case.

    If you have the Order Recognizing Change of Gender and Sex Identifier (form NC-330), take it with you. If the clerk kept it when you filed, tell the clerk they have it.

    The clerk will process your Order and return it to you, signed by the judge and filed.

  • Get a certified copy of your Order from the clerk

    To change your legal ID documents, you will need at least one certified copy of your Order. The clerk can get you a certified copy. This means the clerk adds an official stamp to your Order that says the copy is true copy of the original. Depending on how many documents you need to change, you may need more.

    There is a $40 fee. If you have a fee waiver, you will not have to pay this fee. 

  • Change your gender marker on identity documents

    In many cases, you can use the certified copy of your court order to update your gender marker or sex identifier on your government IDs and in their record. For example, take it to the:

    • California Office of Vital Records to update (amend) your birth or marriage certificate
    • Social Security Agency to update your Social Security record
    • DMV to change your Driver’s License or ID

    You may need different documentation to update some records, like birth certificates issued in another state. Find out from each agency what they require.

    Your records are not updated automatically. 

    You must take steps with each agency to update your gender marker and records.


    Learn how to contact each agency where you might need to update your records

    Get more information 

You are done with the court's gender recognition process. You use your Order to update your IDs and other legal documents.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Gender recognition?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.