Child gender change one parent


Ask the court for order recognizing your child's gender change

In California, you can ask the court for an order to legally recognize your child's gender change.


If you are the only parent making the request, you have to file a petition with the court and let the other parent know about it. If your child’s other parent does not agree, they have the right to oppose your request. If they do, you will get a court date so a judge can hear from you both.


If the judge approves your request, you will get an order recognizing your child’s gender change. The process takes at least 6 weeks, longer if the other parent objects.


Choose any part of the process below to get step-by-step instructions.