Get the order recognizing your child's change of gender

If the judge approves your request to recognize your child’s change of gender, you will get an Order. That’s the document you will use to change your child’s gender marker or sex identifier on all their legal documents. 

How to get a signed and filed Order

  • Get your Order from the court clerk

    Get your Order from clerk if you don't already have one

    • If you did not have to go to a hearing, or you did go but you didn’t get the Order at the hearing, go to the clerk’s office. 
    • If you have the Order Recognizing Minor's Change of Gender and Sex Identifier and for Issuance of New Birth Certificate (form NC-530), take it with you to the clerk’s office.
    • If the clerk kept it when you filed, tell the clerk they have it. The clerk will process your Order and return it to you, signed by the judge and filed. 

    Once you have a signed Order, you will need to ask the court clerk to get a certified copy.

  • Get a certified copy of your Order

    To change your child’s legal ID documents, you will need at least one certified copy of the Order. The clerk can do this for you. Depending on how many IDs or documents you need to change, you may need more than one certified copy.

    There is a $40 fee for each copy. If you have a fee waiver, you will not have to pay this fee. 

  • Change your child’s legal ID documents

    Take the certified copy of your Order to the different agencies that issued the IDs with gender markers or sex identifiers.

    For example, take it to the:

    • If your child was born in California, within 30 days file a certified copy of the order with the State Registrar and pay the fee.

    • DMV to change your child’s driver’s license or ID, if they have one. 

    • Social Security Administration to update their social security record

    Your child's gender marker is not updated automatically in their records.

     You must share a certified copy of their gender recognition Order with each government agency where you need to update their ID or record.

    Learn how to contact each agency where you might need to update your child's records

    Get more information 

You are done with the court's gender recognition process. You use your Order to update your child's IDs and other legal documents.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Gender recognition?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.