Adult name and gender recognition


Ask the court to change your name and get order recognizing your gender

In California, you can ask the court to change your legal name and get a court order recognizing your gender. To do this, you file a petition with the court and get a decree. The process generally takes up to 2 months.


Choose any part of the process below to get step-by-step instructions.