File a petition to recognize your child’s change of gender and change their name

Once you complete your forms, you need to file them with the court and pay a filing fee. If you can't afford the fee, you can ask the court to waive it.  

How to file forms with the court

  • Take your forms to the court clerk

    If your child lives in California, find the superior court in the county where your child lives. If there are different locations, find the closest court to you where civil cases are filed.

    If your child does not live in California, file in the superior court in the county that issued their birth certificate.

    At the courthouse, file the forms you filled out by giving the original and the copies to the clerk.

    The clerk will stamp the forms, keep the original and return the copies to you.

    The Order to Show CauseRecognition of Minor’s Change of Gender and Issuance of New Birth Certificate (form NC-520) is the form that orders anyone who does not agree to your request to file an objection within 6 weeks of the date the form is filed with the court. The date will be stamped in the upper right-hand corner of the form. The objection has to be for good cause, which means that there has to be a valid legal reason to disagree with your request.

    Yes, you can file by mail. Mail the original and 2 copies to the clerk. You need to include the filing fee (or fee waiver request) and a self-addressed stamped envelope so the clerk can mail your copies back to you. Make sure to include enough postage. If you do not include a self-addressed stamped envelope, you will have to go to the courthouse to pick up your copies.  
    Some courts allow online filing (called e-filing). You can find out if your court has online filing on your court’s website.
  • Pay a filing fee

    You’ll need to pay a fee of $435-$450 to the clerk when you file your forms.

    If you can’t afford the fee, you can ask the clerk for a fee waiver. You may qualify for a fee waiver if:

    • You receive public benefits
    • Your income is less than a set amount
    • You can’t afford the fee and meet your basic needs

Gender change recognition and name change for a child

What's next?

Once you’ve filed your forms, your next step is to let the other parent know. You do this by having a copy of the notice delivered (served) on the other parent. 

success alert banner:

Have a question about Gender recognition?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.