Ask for an order recognizing your child's gender change and changing their name

You start the process of asking the court to recognize your child's gender change and change their name by filling out court forms. 

These instructions are only if both parents will make the petition (request).


How to fill out your court forms

  • Download the forms or complete them online

    Download and fill out these forms:

    • Petition for Recognition of Minor’s Change of Gender and Sex Identifier and for Issuance of New Birth Certificate and Change of Name (form NC-500). Check the box that says "and change of name" at the top. Both parents must sign. Your child may also sign it.

    • Name and Information About the Person Whose Name is to be Changed (form NC-110). You both must sign this attachment. Then, attach to the NC-500.
    • Order to Show CauseRecognition of Minor’s Change of Gender and Issuance of New Birth Certificate (form NC-520)

    • Order Recognizing Minor's Change of Gender and Sex Identifier and for Issuance of New Birth Certificate (form NC-530) (fill out the boxes at the top).
    • Civil Case Cover Sheet (form CM-010) (some courts do not require this form)

    If you are changing your child's name and your child is in the:

    • State Witness Program, or
    • Safe at Home address confidentiality program and are changing your child's name to avoid domestic violence, stalking, or human trafficking, or are a victim of sexual assault,

    then, you can ask the court to keep your child's name change confidential. You will still need to serve the other parent. Talk to your Self-Help Center to find out options. 

    If you're worried about safety, there are people that can help you come up with a safety plan to keep you safe at home, work, school, other places that you go, and online. To learn more about creating a plan, go to the National Domestic Violence Hotline or call 1-800-799-SAFE.


    You will need to pay a fee when you file the forms ($435 - $450).  

    If you and your child's other parent can't afford the fee, fill out more forms to ask for a fee waiver.
  • Find out if you have any local forms to fill out

    Some courts have local forms you have to use.

    Contact your court clerk’s office, check your court’s website, or talk to your Self-Help Center to ask if they have any local forms you need to use. You court's Self-Help Center may be able to review your forms before you file them.

  • Make copies

    Make one copy of all of your forms. When you file them, the court will keep the original and return the copies to you, stamped.

Gender change recognition and name change for a child

What's next?

Once you’ve completed the forms, you’ll file them with the court clerk.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Gender recognition?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.