Get the Order recognizing your child's change of gender and change of name

If the judge approves your request, you will get an Order. That’s the document you will use to change their gender marker or sex identifier and name on all their legal documents. 

How to get a signed and filed Order

  • Get your Order rom the court clerk

    Get your Order from the clerk if you don't already have one

    • If you did not have to go to a hearing, or you did go but you didn’t get the Order at the hearing, go to the clerk’s office.
    • If the clerk kept it when you filed, tell the clerk they have it.
    • If you have the Order Recognizing Minor's Change of Gender and Sex Identifier and for Issuance of New Birth Certificate (form NC-530) take it with you.

    The clerk will process your Order and return it to you, signed by the judge and filed.

    Once you have a signed Order, ask the court clerk to get a certified copy.

  • Get a certified copy of your Order

    To change your child’s legal ID documents, you will need a certified copy of the Order. The clerk can do this for you.

    There is a $40 fee for each certified copy. If you have a fee waiver, you will not have to pay this fee. 

  • Change your child’s legal ID documents

    Take the certified copy of your Order to the different agencies that issued the IDs you have to update for your child.

    For example, take it to the:

    • Social Security Office near you to change their social security card and records 

    • DMV to change their driver’s license or ID (if they have one)

    • Office of Vital Records to get an amended (updated) birth certificate  

    • US Passport office to change their passport

    Your child's records are not updated automatically with their new name. 

    You must share a certified copy of the Order  with each government agency where you need to update their ID or record. You must do the same to change a gender marker or sex identifier, though the rules may be different.

    Learn how to contact each agency where you might need to update your child's records

    Agency info to change name  

    Agencies have different rules about how to update a gender marker or sex identifier

    Agency info to change gender marker

You are done with the court's recognition of gender change and name change process. You use your Order to update your child's IDs and other legal documents.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Gender recognition?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.