How to ask to end a guardianship

To end a guardianship, you must fill out and file papers asking a judge to end the guardianship.

How to ask to end a guardianship

  • Fill out court forms

    Fill out a Petition for Termination of Guardianship (form GC-255)

    If one of the people listed on Page 2 agree the guardianship should end, they can sign the "Consent to Termination and Waiver of Service and Notice of Hearing" on Page 2 of the Petition. This means that they agree the guardianship should be ended and that they agree that you do not need to serve them (have someone give or mail them) a copy of the filed Petition and Notice of Hearing.

    You do not sign the consent section if you are the Petitioner (person asking the judge to end the guardianship).

    Fill out the captions of the:

    • Notice of Hearing -- Guardianship or Conservatorship (form GC-020). Also fill out  #1 and the names and addresses of the relatives that need to be served by mail on page two. When you file the form, the clerk will write in the hearing date on the front.
    • Order Terminating Guardianship (form GC-260

    Some courts have additional local forms they require you to use.   

    Contact your court clerk’s office, check your court’s website, or talk to your court's Self-Help Center staff to ask if they have any local forms you need to use. 

  • Make copies

    Make at least 3 copies of all your forms. The court keeps the original. The other is for you and the parents. You may need to make more copies later to send to other family members.

  • File forms

    Go to the same courthouse you listed on your forms. Guardianship cases are heard in the probate department of the court, so you will file them with the probate clerk.

    At the courthouse, you’ll file the forms you filled out by giving the original and the copies to the clerk.

    The clerk will give you a court date and stamp the forms. The court will keep the original and return the copies to you. One is for you, the others are for the child's family members. You may need to make more.

    The clerk will usually keep the Order so the judge can sign it on your court date. If they give it back to you, you will need to bring it to the hearing.

End a guardianship

What's next?

Once you've filed your forms, you need to give the child's family member's notice at least 15 days before the court date.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Guardianship?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.