Finish your case in a default with agreement

To finish your child custody and support case, you must turn in a set of final forms along with your agreement to the court. These forms let the court know you met the required steps to get a default and you and your child's other parent agree on child custody and support.

Before you start

Write up your agreement

You must have everything you agree on in writing - you can't just tell the court that you agree.

Learn how to write up an agreement

Check that you are ready to submit your default judgment

  • It’s been 30 days since you served the Summons and Petition on your child's other parent

  • The other parent never filed a Response 

  • You have a signed agreement and the other parent's signature is notarized (unless they have a lawyer who also signed the forms)

  • You filed a Proof of Service of Summons (form FL-115

The court can’t process your final judgment forms if you haven't filed a Proof of Service of Summons. If you haven’t it yet, you can file it when you turn in the final forms.

How to prepare forms to finish your child custody and support case

  • Fill out forms to ask for a default with agreement

    This form asks the court to enter a default because the other person didn’t respond. Once filed, the clerk mails a copy to the other person.

    • Request to Enter Default (form FL-165

      On item 2, you can check box e. You do not need to complete a Property Declaration because there's no division of community property.

    talking alert icon

    You can turn in the Request to Enter Default now or turn it in with the rest of your forms later. This form prevents the other person from filing a Response without the court’s permission

  • Fill out judgment forms

    • Declaration for Default or Uncontested Judgment (form FL-230)

      This explains what orders you want the judge to make in the final judgment.

    • Judgment (Uniform Parentage — Custody and Support) (form FL-250)

      This is the final court order. You will need to attach more forms to this.

    • Notice of Entry of Judgment (Family Law — Uniform Parentage — Custody and Support) (form FL-190)

      The court will mail this form back to you after the judge has signed the judgment. It’s the official notice from the court that tells you the case is complete.

    illustration of a child and adult

    If the local child support agency is involved in your case, the agency must approve and sign-off on any child support agreement you have. If you used Form FL-350, there's a place on page 2 for a lawyer from the agency to sign.

  • Fill out or attach child custody and child support forms

    Attach your agreement for custody, visitation (parenting time), and support to your judgment

    If you agreed for child support to be paid directly from the other parent's paycheck, also submit:

    You must attach:

    This lets you and the other parent know about how to ask the other parent to help pay for any of your child's healthcare costs not covered by insurance and how to ask to change a child support order.

    Also, submit:

    Do not attach the Child Support Case Registry Form to your judgment. Submit it along with everything, if you haven't turned one in before.

  • Get help reviewing your forms

    Contact your court clerk’s office, check your court’s website, or talk to your Family Law Facilitator or Self-Help Center to find out if they require any optional forms and check how many envelopes you need to provide when you turn in your forms.

    Find a self help center

Finish your child custody and support case

What's next?

Once your judgment forms and agreement are complete, you must prepare envelopes and submit everything to court.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Petition for Custody and Support?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.