Submit the default judgment to finish your case

Once you complete your judgment paperwork, you need to make copies and submit everything to the court with envelopes. If the judge has any questions, they may set a court date. If nothing is missing and the judge does not have any questions, the judge will sign your judgment.

How to submit forms and envelopes

  • Prepare envelopes

    1. Envelope for your Request to Enter Default 

    If you haven't filed your Request to Enter Default (form FL-165) yet, you can file it when you turn in your judgment paperwork. You will need one envelope, with postage, addressed to the other parent. The clerk will use this to mail the other parent a filed copy of the Request to Enter Default

    2. Two envelopes for Judgment packet 

    The envelope needs to be big enough to hold all the papers in your packet and have enough postage. Address one to yourself and the other to the other parent. If the court approves your judgment, the Clerk will mail a copy of the Judgment and the Notice of Entry of Judgment back to you both.

    Some courts require a separate small envelope for the Notice of Entry of Judgment. Contact the court clerk or Self-Help Center if you haven't already to be sure. 
  • Make copies

    Make 3 copies of your papers.  

    You will give the original and two copies to the clerk.   

    Keep the third copy with you in case you need it. 

  • Submit forms and envelopes

    Turn in the original and two copies of your forms to the court clerk along with the envelopes.  

    The clerk will process your paperwork and give it to a judge to review. This may take a week or even months. Ask the clerk what the usual time is to process. 

  • Get judgment forms back

    If everything required is there and the judge does not have any questions, the judge will sign your judgment. The clerk will:

    • Stamp the Judgment and the Notice of Entry of Judgment "filed"

    • Mail you a copy of the stamped forms

    If something is missing or wrong, you will get the forms back, not signed or stamped, with information about what’s missing.

When you receive the Notice of Entry of Judgment marked "filed," your case is complete. You can change any child support, child custody, and visitation (parenting time) orders by using the Request for Order process.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Petition for Custody and Support?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.