Submit judgment and agreement to finish your case

Once you complete your paperwork, you need to make copies and submit everything to the court with envelopes. The court will review these forms to be sure there’s nothing missing or incorrect. If nothing is missing and the judge does not have any questions, the judge will sign your judgment.

How to submit forms and envelopes

  • Prepare envelopes 

    You need 2 envelopes with enough postage. The envelope needs to be big enough to hold copies of all your judgment forms and agreement (if you have one).

    Address one envelope to you and one to the other parent.

    If the court approves your judgment, the Clerk will mail a copy of the Judgment and the Notice of Entry of Judgment to you and the other parent.

    Some courts require a separate small envelope for the Notice of Entry of Judgment

    Contact the court clerk or Self-Help Center, if you haven't already, to be sure.
  • Make copies 

    Make 3 copies of your papers.

    You will give the original and two copies to the clerk.

    Keep the third copy with you in case you need it.

  • Submit forms and envelopes 

    Turn in the original and two copies of your forms to the court clerk.

    The clerk will process your paperwork and give it to a judge to review. This may take weeks or even months. Ask the clerk what the usual time is to process.

  • Get judgment forms back 

    If everything required is there and the judge does not have any questions, the judge will sign your judgment. The clerk will:

    • Stamp the Judgment and the Notice of Entry of Judgment "filed"

    • Mail you a copy of the stamped forms

    If something is missing or wrong, you will get the forms back, not signed or stamped, with information about what’s missing.

When you receive the Notice of Entry of Judgment marked "filed," your case is complete. If things change, you can ask to change any child support, child custody, and visitation (parenting time) orders by using the Request for order process.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Petition for Custody and Support?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.