Prepare for your conservatorship hearing

Before your conservatorship hearing, you need to fill out more forms. Some forms you should file before your court date, others you can take with you to the court date.

How to prepare for your court date

  • Check you've filed or completed required forms

    File Proofs of Service

    If you haven't already, file the Proof of Service to prove that you had the person with a developmental disability, their relatives, and the Regional Center served.

    Prepare forms for the hearing

    If you didn't give these forms to the clerk already, prepare and bring to the court date the

    • Order Appointing Probate Conservator of the Person (form GC-340).  You only fill out the caption - the top box - on this form. If the judge agrees to appoint you as a limited conservator, they will sign the order.
    • Letters of Conservatorship (form GC-350).  If the judge appoints you as the limited conservator, you will need to file this form. The clerk will sign and stamp it.

    Check the probate notes and follow any instructions

    Most courts use "Probate Notes" to help you and others to track what's been filed and completed in your case. The notes say what's missing or if something needs to be fixed. For example, if you forgot to file something or check a required box on a form, the note will tell you to fix it before the court date.

    You can generally find the Probate Notes on your court's website in the probate section.

  • Ask for a disability accomodation (if needed)

    If you have a disability or limitation, you can ask for an accommodation if you need one for court.

    To ask for an accomodation, you can fill out a Disability Accommodation Request (form MC-410) and turn it in to your court's ADA Coordinator. You can also call the court or go in person to ask the ADA Coordinator.

    To find the court's ADA Coordinator, check the court's website for a page titled "ADA" or ask the clerk. 

    Both the person asking for a conservatorship and the proposed conservatee can ask for a disability accommodation. 

    You can get more information in MC-410-INFO, How to Request a Disability Accommodation for Court.

  • Ask for an interpreter (if needed)

    illustration representing an interpreter

    If you don't speak or understand English very well, you can ask for a free court interpreter for your court date. Both the person asking for a conservatorship and the person with a disability can ask for an interpreter.

    To ask for an interpreter, fill out and turn in a Request for Interpreter (civil) (form INT-300) or a form the court gives you. In some courts, you can make your request online. Contact your court or ask a clerk when you file your forms to find out how to ask for an interpreter.

    Get more information about asking for and working with an interpreter.

  • Write out what you plan to say or who to bring with you

    The judge may have questions for you, like what other options you've tried or considered and why those options won't work. Be prepared with notes and any paperwork you want to talk about.

    illustration of a clipboard with a checklist

     It can help to have a list of the main points you want to say. If you forget or get nervous in court you can take a moment to review your list.


    If there is someone who has seen or heard anything that supports why you should be a conservator, you can ask them to come to the hearing. They can be a witness for you.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Conservatorship?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.