Respond to the Petition for Appointment of Guardian

If you want to respond in writing to the Petition for Appointment of Guardian, you have to write out your response and file it in court. If you disagree with the guardianship, it is called an objection. You may use Objection to Petition for Appointment of Guardian (form GC-215) to make a written objection.

How to respond to the Petition

  • Write out statement

    illustration of a person filling forms at home

    If you object, you can use Objection to Petition for Appointment of Guardian (form GC-215). 

    On your statement or form GC-215, explain to the judge why: 

    • A guardianship is or is not in the child’s best interests.
    • You support or object to this particular person being the guardian.

    Make sure you write your name, address, and phone number, the case number, and sign the form. 

    If you want to respond another way, write what you want to tell the judge on a piece of paper with the case number and case name. You can use a Declaration (form MC-030). 


    Ask court Self-Help Center staff to review. 

    Your court’s Self-Help Center may be able to review your statement before you file it to make sure you filled them out correctly.
  • Make copies

    Make at least 1 copy of your form. When you file it, the court will keep the original and return the copies to you, stamped.  If you will go to the court date, make an extra copy to bring to court with you to share if asked. 

  • File response with the court

    members fo the public waiting in line to talk to the clerk

    File your response in the court where the case was filed. You can see the address on the paperwork you received. 

    To file your papers, give the original and copy to the court clerk. The clerk will keep the original and will stamp the copy and return it to you.

    Yes, you can file by mail. But, mail it soon enough so it arrives before the court date. Mail your original and the copy to the clerk. You need to include a self-addressed stamped envelope so the clerk can mail your copy back to you. If you do not include a self-addressed stamped envelope you will have to go to the courthouse to pick up your copy.

    Some courts allow online filing (called e-filing). You can find out if your court has online filing by visiting your court’s website.  

success alert banner:

Have a question about Guardianship?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.