Serving the Response by mail

After completing the Response, you must notify the protected person by having someone mail a copy of the papers to them. The court calls this service or serving papers.  

This is called mail service. This means another adult, not you, mails them (or their lawyer, if they have one) a copy of your Response. This person is your server. Your server must sign a form saying they mailed the papers. You file this form with the court.

What you need:

How to serve papers by mail

  • Choose a server

    You can't serve papers yourself. Ask another adult to mail the papers. This is your server

    Your server must be:

    • 18 or over, and
    • not part of your case.

    Your server can be someone you know or a professional process server you hire.

  • Have your server mail the papers

    Your server mails the papers to the protected person, unless they have a lawyer. If they have a lawyer, mail the papers to their lawyer.

    Your server should note the date they mailed the papers. They need this information to fill out the Proof of Service form.

    No. There are rules about when you can use certified mail. Certified mail requires a signature. Because of this, it might not be delivered.

  • Fill out Proof of Service form

    You can use Proof of Service by Mail (form DV-250)

    It helps if you fill in the top part of the form with the case and court information.   

    Your server can then fill in the information about when and where they mailed the papers. Your server must then sign the form. 

  • Copy and file Proof of Service

    1. Make a copy of your Proof of Service form.  

    2. File the original and copy with the court. The court will stamp and return the copy. 

    3. Keep the copy of the Proof of Service for your records.  

Serving a response by mail

Type of case