Fill out forms to start a small claims case

To start a small claims case, you must first fill out court forms.

Before you start

There are online programs to fill out the forms

You have choices for filling out the forms to start a small claims case:

  • Use an app. For a free app that asks you questions and fills out the forms for you, go to Guide & File. Set up an account so the app will save your work. Then answer the questions, and at the end, you can print out the forms to start your case.
  • By hand or as a fillable form online. You can either fill them out on your device (they’re fillable PDF files) and print them out or print them out and write on them.

If you need help

  • Review the Information for the Small Claim's Plaintiff (form SC-100-INFO
  • Contact a Small Claims Advisor. Most courts have a Small Claims Advisor, someone who gives free legal information about small claims cases. The type of services they offer varies by court. 

How to fill out forms to start a small claims case

  • Fill out forms

    You must fill out:

    • Plaintiff's Claim and Order to Go to Small Claims Court (form SC-100) 

    This form tells the court who you are, who you're suing, why, how much you are suing for, and why you're suing in this county.

    On this form, you 

  • Find out if there are any local forms to complete

    Some courts have additional local forms they require you to use.   

    Contact your court clerk’s office, check your court’s website, or talk to the Small Claims Advisor to ask if they have any local forms you need to use. 

  • Fill out and attach other forms

    In some cases, you need to fill out and attach other forms to form SC-100.

    If you need more space to add other Plaintiffs or are suing more Defendants, also fill out:

    • Other Plaintiffs or Defendants (Attachment to Plaintiff's Claim and ORDER to Go to Small Claims Court) (form SC-100A)

    This form gives you more space to provide the information of other people or businesses.

    If you are a business with a Fictitious Business Name, also fill out:

    This form tells the court and other side about your business Fictitious Business Name.

    If you are suing about an attorney fee dispute that went to arbitration, also fill out:

    • Attorney Fee Dispute (After Arbitration) (Attachment to Plaintiff's Claim and ORDER to Go to Small Claims Court) (form SC-101)

    This tells the court that the case is about an attorney fee dispute for less than $5,000 and that you went to arbitration.

  • Make copies of your forms

    Make 1 copy for you and 1 copy for each person, business, or agency you’re suing. So you’ll have the original and at least 2 copies.

Small claims

What's next?

After you've filled out and made copies of your forms, you will need to file them with the court.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Small claims?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.