Suing the other side back in small claims court

To sue the other side, you need to:

  • Check if suing back in small claims is right for you
  • Fill out the court forms and make copies
  • File them with the court
  • Have someone give a filed copy of the court forms to the other side (called serving court forms)

You generally need to do this all at least 5 days before your court date.

At a glance

The process for suing the other side back

This is a general overview of the steps you'll need to follow. Select "See this step" to get instructions for any step.

  • Check if small claims is right for you

    There are rules about the types of cases that can be filed in small claims. See this step.

  • Fill out forms

    Fill out court forms. Make copies of the forms. See this step.

  • File with court

    File your forms and copies with the court.  Pay a filing fee. You will get a court date. The clerk will give you back a copy of the forms to give the other side. See this step.

  • Serve other side

    Have someone deliver (called serve) the forms on the other side by a deadline. See this step.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Small claims?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.