Fill out forms to sue the other side

To sue the other side back in your small claims case, your first step is fill out a court form.

Before you start

  • Fill out the Defendant's Claim form

    Defendant's Claim and Order to Go to Small Claims Court (form SC-120) 

    This forms tells the court who you are, why you're suing the other side, and how much you're suing them for.

  • Find out if there are any local forms to fill out

    The Defendant's Claim and Order to Go to Small Claims Court (form SC-120) is a state form.

    Some courts have additional local forms you have to file, too.   

    Contact your court clerk’s office, check your court’s website, or talk to the Small Claims Advisor to ask if they have any local forms you need to use. 

  • Fill out and attach other forms if they apply to your case

    In some cases, you need to fill out and attach other forms to form SC-120.

    If you need more space to put information about other Plaintiffs or Defendants, also fill out:

    You can only sue one or all (if more than one) of the Plaintiffs who sued you. 

    If you need to sue others who aren't in your case already you'll need to start a separate small claims case.

    If you are suing as a business and have a Fictitious Business Name, also fill out:

    This form tells the court and other side about how your business is set up.

  • Make copies of your forms

    Make 1 copy for you and 1 copy for each person, business, or agency you’re suing. So you’ll have the original and at least 2 copies.

Small claims

What's next?

After you've filled out and made copies of your forms, you will need to file them with the court.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Small claims?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.