Ask to renew the gun violence restraining order

If a judge granted you a long-term restraining order (on form GV-130), you can ask for it to be renewed (extended) before it expires.

Before you start

You must request to renew your gun violence restraining order before it expires

Check the expiration date on form GV-130 after hearing of the gun violence restraining order. You can apply for a renewal up to 3 months before the expiration date. Only the person listed in number 1 on form GV-130 can apply to renew it.

How to ask to renew the gun violence restraining order

  • Fill out court forms

    • Request to Renew Restraining Order (form GV-700)
    • Notice of Hearing to Renew Restraining Order (form GV-710)

    Attach a copy of your current gun violence restraining order after hearing (CLETS-OGV) (form GV-130 to Form GV-700.

    You can ask your Self-Help Center to review your paperwork. They can make sure you filled it out properly before you move ahead with your case.

  • Fill out your court’s local forms (if any)

    Ask your local court clerk if there are local forms you have to fill out. Some courts also have forms on their website. Find your local court website,

  • Make at least 2 copies of all your forms

    One copy will be for you, another copy will be for restrained person. The original is for the court.

  • Take your forms to the court clerk

    The clerk will give your forms to the judge for their signature. Ask the clerk when to return to pick up your paperwork. The clerk will file your papers.

    • Sometimes the judge wants to talk to you. If so, the clerk will tell you.
    illustration of documents being placed in a "drop box"
    Some courts have a drop box that you can use. If you use a drop box include the original and two copies to the clerk. After you drop your papers, you will have to go to the courthouse to pick up your copies. Some courts allow online filing, also called e-filing. You can find out if your court has e-filing by visiting your court’s website.
  • The clerk or judge will set a hearing date

    You must go to the hearing. Form GV-710 will tell you when and where it will be. Your restraining order will be extended until this court date.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Gun violence restraining order?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.