What do these papers mean?

Notice of Motion or Order to Show Cause (form FL-680 or FL-683)

If you received a Notice of Motion (form FL-680) or an Order to Show Cause (form FL-683), it means the Local Child Support Agency (LCSA) has filed papers asking for a court date (a hearing). At the hearing, the court may make orders for child support or other issues. If you do not respond or go to the hearing, the court may make a decision without your input.


This page will help you understand what the form means and your options for what to do next.

You have a court date

The court date, time, and location are listed on Page 1 of the Notice of Motion (form FL-680) or the Order to Show Cause (form FL-683).

Highlight of Form FL-684 showing requested orders, items 1-3

What the LCSA wants the court to decide

You should have also received a Request for Order and Supporting Declaration (form FL-684). This says what the LCSA wants the court to decide at the hearing. For example,

  • Parentage

    If item 1 is checked, the LCSA is asking the court to decide if you and the other parent are the child's legal parents (called established parentage).

  • Child support

    If item 2 is checked, the LCSA has asked for the court to order child support. If the court does order support, the LCSA will issue an "Income Withholding Order."  This means ordering your employer to take child support out of your pay.

  • Health insurance

    If item 3 is checked, the LCSA has asked that the court order you to pay for the child's health insurance, if available at a reasonable cost.

The LCSA must explain in item 7 or in an attachment the facts that support their request. 

How to respond and what happens if you don't

  • Respond in writing by filing a response form in court before your court date. Get step-by-step instructions for how to respond and what forms to use in the next step.
  • If you do not respond, the court may make orders about child support of your children based on the LCSA's or the other parent's estimate of your income and without taking into account your individual situation.
  • Even if you do not respond, you can go to the court hearing and bring proof of your income and child-related expenses if you want to have any input in the court's decision about child support.

If the papers include an Order for Genetic (Parentage) Testing (form FL-627), you must also go to the place on the date and time listed on the form for genetic testing. 

Get free help or legal advice

This website has instructions for how you can respond. But, you may need more help or legal advice. 

  • Get free help from the court. The court where the case is filed has a program where they offer free legal information about child support and can help you with forms. Learn more about the court’s Family Law Facilitator or Self-Help Center.  

  • Hire a lawyer to help you with all or a part of your case. For legal advice, you can hire a lawyer. If there's a question as to if you're the child's legal parent (called parentage) and you can't afford a lawyer, the court may appoint you a lawyer for free to help with that issue. Talk to your court's Family Law Facilitator to find out more about that option.

How to file a response

What's next?

Get the forms you need to respond and step-by-step instructions on how to respond and prepare for court.