Ask for a court order to recognize your gender change

To ask the court for an order recognizing your change of gender, you first fill out court forms. You can ask for one of 3 gender markers: female, male, or nonbinary. 

Use different instructions if you also want to change your name. 

This page only has instructions to get a court order recognizing your change of gender. There's a different process to change your gender marker and name.

Before you start

You can update your gender marker on many identity documents without a court order

You do not need a court order to change your gender marker or sex identifier on your:

  • California birth certificate
  • California driver’s license
  • California marriage license
  • U.S. Passport

Other states may require a court order. Also, you may not be able to use a nonbinary gender marker on some federal or out-of-state identifications.

How to fill out forms to ask for a court order recognizing your gender change

  • Fill out forms

    You will need to fill out these forms:

    • Petition for Recognition of Change of Gender and Sex Identifier (form NC-300)
    • Civil Case Cover Sheet (form CM-010) (some courts do not require this form) 

    • If you are asking to change your marriage certificate, Marriage License and CertificateAttachment (form NC-312), if your spouse did not sign NC-312, Order to Show CauseIssuance of New Marriage License and Certificate (form NC-325) and attach it to NC-300.
    • If you are asking to change your information on your child's birth certificate, fill out Birth Certificate for Child of PetitionerAttachment (form NC-311) and attach it to the NC-300. If your child is an adult, the must also sign.
    • Order Recognizing Change of Gender and Sex identifier (form NC-330) (fill out the boxes at the top). 

    You will need to pay a fee when you file the forms ($435 - $450).  

    If you can't afford the fee, fill out another form to ask for a fee waiver.
  • Find out if you have any local forms to fill out

    Some courts have local forms you have to use.

    Contact your court clerk’s office, check your court’s website, or talk to your Self-Help Center to ask if they have any local forms you need to use. Your court's Self-Help Center may be able to review your papers before you file them.

  • Make Copies

    Make a copy of all of your forms. When you file them, the court will keep the original and return the copies to you, stamped.

    Keep the copies for yourself.

Gender recognition

What's next?

Once you’ve completed the forms, you’ll file them with the court clerk.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Gender recognition?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.