Ask for court order recognizing your child's gender change

You start the process of getting a court order recognizing your child's gender change by filling out court forms. 

These instructions are when only one parent will sign the petition (the request) to recognize their child's gender change. 


How to fill out forms to recognize your child’s gender change

  • Fill out forms

    You will need to fill out these forms:

    • Petition for Recognition of Minor’s Change of Gender and Sex identifier and for Issuance of New Birth Certificate (form NC-500) You must sign. Your child may also sign it.

    • Order to Show CauseRecognition of Minor’s Change of Gender and Issuance of New Birth Certificate (form NC-520)

    • Order Recognizing Minor's Change of Gender and Sex Identifier and for Issuance of New Birth Certificate (form NC-530) (fill out the boxes at the top).
    • Civil Case Cover Sheet (form CM-010) (some courts do not require this form)

    You will need to pay a fee when you file the forms ($435 - $450).  

    If you can't afford the fee, fill out another form to ask for a fee waiver.
  • Find out if you have any local forms to fill out

    Some courts have  local forms you have to use.

    Contact your court clerk’s office, check your court’s website, or talk to your Self-Help Center to ask if they have any local forms you need to use. You court's Self-Help Center may be able to review the forms before you file them.

  • Make Copies

    Make at least 2 copies of all of your forms. When you file them, the court will keep the original and return the copies to you, stamped.

    One copy is for you. The second copy is for your child’s other parent.

Child gender change recognition

What's next?

Once you’ve completed the forms, you’ll file them with the court clerk.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Gender recognition?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.