Ask for a court order recognizing your change of gender and changing your name

You start the process of asking for a court order recognizing your gender change and changing your name by filling out court forms.

How to fill out forms to ask for recognition of your gender change and change of name

  • Fill out forms

    • Petition for Recognition of Change of Gender and Sex Identifier, Name Change, and Issuance of New Certificates  (form NC-300)
    • Name and Information about the Person Whose Name is to be Changed (form NC-110) and attach it to the NC-300
    • If you are asking to change your information on your child's birth certificate, fill out Birth Certificate for Child of PetitionerAttachment (form NC-311) and attach it to the NC-300. If your child is 18 or older, they must also sign.
    • If you are asking to change your marriage certificate, fill out Marriage License and CertificateAttachment (form NC-312) and attach it to NC-300. If your spouse did not sign NC-312, also fill out Order to Show CauseIssuance of New Marriage License and Certificate (form NC-325)
    • Civil Case Cover Sheet (form CM-010) (some courts do not require this form)
    • Order Recognizing Change of Gender and Sex identifier, for Name Change, and for Issuance of New Certificate (form NC-330) (fill out the boxes at the top) 
    • Order to Show Cause—Change of Name to Conform to Gender Identity (form NC-125)

    If you are changing your name and you're in the:

    • State Witness Program, or
    • Safe at Home address confidentiality program and are changing your name to avoid domestic violence, stalking, or human trafficking, or are a victim of sexual assault,

    then, you can ask the court to keep your name change confidential. Talk to your Self-Help Center to find out options. 

    If you're worried about safety, there are people that can help you come up with a safety plan to keep you safe at home, work, school, other places that you go, and online. To learn more about creating a plan, go to the National Domestic Violence Hotline or call 1-800-799-SAFE.


    You will need to pay a fee when you file the forms ($435 - $450).  

    If you can't afford the fee, fill out other forms to ask for a fee waiver.
  • Find out if you have any local forms to fill out

    Some courts have more local forms you have to use.

    Contact your court clerk’s office, check your court’s website, or talk to your Self-Help Center to ask if they have any local forms you need to use. Your Self-Help Center may also be able to review your forms before you file them.

  • Make a copy

    Make a copy of all of your forms. When you file them, the court will keep the original and return the copy to you, stamped.

Name change and gender recognition

What's next?

Once you’ve completed the forms, you’ll file them with the court clerk.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Gender recognition?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.