Get the decree changing your child’s name

If the judge approves your request to change your child’s name, you will get a Decree. That’s the document you will use to change your child’s name on all their legal documents. Once you have the signed Decree, you need to get a certified copy from the court clerk  to change your child's IDs and other legal documents.

How to get a signed and filed Decree

  • Get your Decree from the court clerk

    Get your Decree from clerk if you don't already have one

    If you did not have to go to a hearing, or you did go but you didn’t get the Decree at the hearing, go to the clerk’s office. If you have the Decree Changing Name (form NC-130), take it with you. If the clerk kept it when you filed, tell the clerk they have it.

    The clerk will process your Decree and return it to you, signed by the judge and filed.

    Once you have a signed Decree, ask the court clerk to get a certified copy.

  • Get a certified copy of your Decree

    To change your child’s legal ID documents, you will need at least one certified copy of the Decree. The clerk can get you a certified copy. This means the clerk adds an official stamp to your Decree that says the copy is true copy of the original. Depending on how many legal ID documents you want to update, you can ask for more than one certified Decree.

    There is a $40 fee for each certified copy. If you have a fee waiver, you will not have to pay this fee. 

  • Change your child’s legal ID documents

    Take the certified copy of your Decree to the different agencies that issued the IDs you have to update for your child.

    For example, take it to the:

    • Social Security Office near you to change their social security card and records 

    • DMV to change their driver’s license or ID (if they have one)

    • Office of Vital Records to get an amended (updated) birth certificate  

    • US Passport office to change their passport

    Your child's records are not updated automatically with their new name. 

    You must share a certified copy of their name change Decree with each government agency where you need to update their ID or record.

    Learn how to contact each agency where you might need to update your child's records

    Get more information 

You are done with the court's name change process. You use your Decree to update your child's IDs and other legal documents.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Name change?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.