Get your Decree changing your name to match your gender identity

If the judge approves your request, you will get a Decree. That’s the document you will use to change your name on all your legal documents. 

Before you start

When you filed your case, the clerk should have told you when to return to pick up your Decree Changing Name (form NC-130). At that time, the clerk either kept your Decree form or told you to hold on to it. If you were told to hold on to it, make sure you have it ready now.

How to get a signed and filed Decree

  • Get your Decree from the court clerk

    Go to the clerk’s office when the clerk told you to, usually at least 6 weeks after you filed your case. If you have the Decree Changing Name (Form NC-130), take it with you. If the clerk kept it when you filed, tell the clerk they have it. 

    The clerk will process your Decree and return it to you, signed by the judge and filed. 

  • Get certified copy of your Decree from court clerk

    To change your legal ID documents, you will need a at least one certified copy of your Decree. The clerk can get you a certified copy. This means the clerk adds an official stamp to your Decree that says the copy is true copy of the original. Depending on how many legal ID documents you want to update, you can ask for more than one certified Decree

    There is a $40 fee for each certified copy. If you have a fee waiver, you will not have to pay this fee.

  • Change your legal identity documents

    Take the certified copy of your Decree to the different agencies that issued the IDs you have to update.  

    For example, contact the: 

    • Social Security Office near you to change your social security card and records 

    • DMV to change your driver’s license or ID 

    • Office of Vital Records to get an amended (updated) birth certificate  

    • US Passport office to change your passport 

    Your records are not updated automatically with your new name. 

    You must share a certified copy of your name change Decree with each government agency where you need to update your ID or record.

    Learn how to contact each agency where you might need to update your records

    Get more information 

You are done with the court's name change process. You use your Decree to update your IDs and other legal documents.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Name change?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.