Change child's name match gender both parents


Change your child's name to match their gender identity

In California, you can ask the court to change your child’s legal name to make it match their gender identity.


When both parents agree to do this, you ask the court together. You file a petition that you both sign, and get a decree changing your child’s name to match their gender. The process generally takes about 2 months.


Choose any part of the process below to get step-by-step instructions.