Update your identity documents

Once you have your Decree Changing Name or other legal document listing your new legal name (like your marriage certificate), you can take this document to the agencies that issue legal documents and request new documents. 

There's no one place to update all your records. You will need to contact each agency to update your information and get a new card issued.

US Social Security Card

Update your name on your Social Security card through the Social Security Administration. There's no fee. If you have more questions, contact your local Social Security office.

California Driver's License or ID Card

Update your name on your Driver's License or ID through the Department of Motor Vehicles. The instructions also cover how to get a REAL ID. If you have more questions, contact your local DMV office.

Update your Social Security card before you change your Driver's License. 

The DMV checks your information with the Social Security Administration before it updates your ID.

California Birth Certificate

Update (amend) your California Birth Certificate through the California Department of Public Health. If you have more questions, contact Vital Records at the Department of Public Health.

US Passport

Update your U.S. Passport through the U.S. Department of State. If you have questions, contact the National Passport Information Center

California marriage certificate

With a court order, you can change your name on your marriage certificate:

  • If you had a public marriage, pay a fee and file a copy of the certified order with the State Registrar. The State Registrar will issue you a new certificate.
  • If you had a confidential marriage, pay a fee and file the order with the county recorder's office in the county that issued the marriage certificate. The county recorder will issue you a new certificate.
success alert banner:

Have a question about Name change?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.