Ask for or change child support

If you have a LCSA child support case (a government child support case), you can ask for child support or to change child support by filing a request. 

Before you start

illustration of paper forms in a folder

Gather information about your finances

When you ask for child support, you will need to share information about your financial situation. You will need proof of your income for the last two months. 

Find out how support is calculated

A Family Law Facilitator can explain child support and help you calculate the amount the court would likely order.  

How to ask for a child support order

  • Fill out Request for Order form

    Request for Order (form FL-300)

    Use this form to tell the court:  

    • What you want it to order   

    • Why it should order what you're asking for

    For child support, use item 3 on page 3, and “Facts to Support” (item 10 on page 4).  

    Item 10, “Facts to Support,” on Page 4 asks you to explain why the court should order what you requested. Write down the facts, not just opinions, that support what you’re telling the court.  

    For example, tell the court if things have changed since the last order for support. For example, you lost your job, are making less money, or are spending more time with the children.  

    If there is a document that supports what you say (like a letter from your job), attach that to your request. Blackout any private information like a Social Security number or account number.  

    If you need more space, check the box that says, “Attachment 10.” You can use Attached Declaration (form MC-031).  


    The Petitioner is the person who started the family law case initially. The Respondent is the other parent. For example, if you are filing this Request for Order but the other parent was the one who started the case at the very beginning, you are the Respondent. 
  • Fill out the Income and Expense Declaration

    This form asks how much money you earn and how you spend your money.   

    • Attach proof of your income (like paystubs) from the past two months to the form.  

    • Do not attach a copy of your last year’s taxes. Bring a copy (if you have one) to the hearing.   

  • Attach documents to support your case

    Sometimes it's important to have documents that support your case. If you have any, you can attach copies or file these with your request so the judge can consider them at the hearing.

    • Documents can include things like a receipt, a bill, or a letter from your employer 
    • Black out any private information like a Social Security number or account numbers
    • If there is a witness (someone who saw or personally knows something), you can ask them to write and sign a statement that says what they know. Learn more about witness statements.

    If you don't have these ready now, you can file them later.

  • Make copies of your forms

    After you’ve filled out, signed, and dated both forms, make 3 copies of the forms.   

  • File your forms

    To file your forms with the court:

    • Give the original and the 3 copies to the court clerk  

    There is no fee to ask to change child support in an LCSA case. 

    There is no fee to ask to change support in your LCSA case. There is a fee, at least $60.00, if you are asking for something else. If you can't afford the fee, you can ask for a fee waiver

    The clerk will: 

    • Stamp the forms 

    • Write a hearing date on the Request for Order form 

    • Keep the original form and return the copies to you 

    A judge will make a decision about your request at the hearing. 

    Yes, you can file by mail. Mail your original and 3 copies to the clerk. You need to include the filing fee and a self-addressed stamped envelope so the clerk can mail your copies back to you. If you do not include a self-addressed, stamped envelope you will have to go to the courthouse to pick up your copies.  

    Some courts allow online filing (called e-file). You can find out if your court has online filing by visiting your court’s website.  

  • Ask for an interpreter or accomodation (if needed)

    illustration representing an interpreter

    How to ask for an interpreter

    If you don't speak or understand English very well, you can ask for a court interpreter for your court date. Ask as soon as you find out your court date. The court will provide an interpreter free of charge.

    In many courts, you fill out and turn in a Request for Interpreter (civil) (form INT-300). Other courts use a different form. Contact your court to find out how to ask for an interpreter. Find out more about court interpreters.

    ADA Accessibility icon

    How to ask for an accommodation for a disability

    Each court has an Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) coordinator to help persons with disabilities. To ask for an accommodation, fill out a Request for Accommodations by Persons With Disabilities and Response (form MC-410). Turn the form in to your court's ADA coordinator at least 5 days before your court date. 

Ask for child support

What's next?

Once you’ve filed the forms, the next step is to have someone, not you, deliver a copy to the LCSA (called serve). If you do this at least 30 days before your court date, the LCSA will serve the other parent for you. Before or after you have someone serve the papers, you can find out what to expect on your court date so you're prepared.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Child Support?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.