Ask the court for an order

During your family law case, you can ask the court for something not listed specifically on the Request for Order (form FL-300), often related to the legal process of the case. For example, ask the court to set aside (cancel) a default or to order your spouse to finish their financial disclosures. To do this, you check the box "other" on the Request for Order form and write in very broadly what you want the court to decide. 

Before you start

Some of these requests can be complicated.

You may need to write the legal reason for your request. There may be other forms you have to attach. For these types of requests consider getting help from the Self-Help Center or Family Law Facilitator at your court. A local law library may also have resources for you.  

a person getting assistance from a self help assister

How to ask the court for an other order

  • Fill out Request for Order form

    Fill out the Request for Order (form FL-300). Use this form to tell the court: 

    • What you want it to order  

    • Why it should order that way 

    For other, use item 8 on page 4, and “Facts to Support” (item 10 on page 4). 

    The Petitioner is the person who started the family law case initially. The Respondent is the other spouse or parent. For example, if you are filing this Request for Order but the other person was the one who started the case at the very beginning, you are the Respondent. 

    Depending on what you asked for, you may need to attach other forms or give a legal reason for what you're requesting.


    Use the same form to ask for other types of orders. For example, if you also need a child custody order, you can usually use the same form to ask for both. This saves you a filing fee. And, the court can decide both issues at the same time. Read about the other type of order to be sure you can ask for the order in this case.
  • Make copies of your forms

    After you’ve filled out, signed, and dated both forms, make 2 copies of the forms.  

  • File your forms

    members fo the public waiting in line to talk to the clerk

    To file your forms with the court:

    • Give the original and the 2 copies to the court clerk 
    • Pay a $60 fee (unless you’ve gotten a fee waiver)

     There may be other fees. For example, if you’re also asking to change child custody or visitation. 

    If these are the first papers you’ve filed in the case, there will be a $435-$450 “first paper” filing fee. If you can't afford the fee, you can ask for a fee waiver

    Learn how to ask for a fee waiver

    The clerk will:

    • Stamp the forms
    • Write a hearing date on the Request for Order form
    • Keep the original form and return the copies to you

    A judge will make a decision about your request at the hearing. 

    Yes, you can file by mail. Mail the original and 2 copies to the clerk. You need to include the filing fee and a self-addressed stamped envelope so the clerk can mail your copies back to you. If you do not include a self-addressed stamped envelope you will have to go to the courthouse to pick up your copies. 

    Some courts allow online filing (called "e-filing"). You can find out if your court has online filing by visiting your court’s website. 

Request an order

What's next?

Once you’ve filed the forms, the next step is to serve your spouse or the other parent.


Before or after you served the papers, you can start to prepare for your hearing. 

success alert banner:

Have a question about Request for Order?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.