Respond to a request for other order

If you were served a Request for Order (form FL-300), this means that you have a court date where a judge will make a decision about the issue listed next to the "other" box on Page 1 of the form. You can find out more about what they're asking the court to decide in Box 8 on page 4.

Before you start

This page only gives general information for how to respond.

There are many types of "Other" orders that your spouse or the other parent may be requesting. Responding to some of these "Other" types of orders can be complicated. It often means you will need to explain or respond with legal reasons why the judge should or should not do something. 

For these types of requests consider getting help from the Self-Help Center or Family Law Facilitator at your court. A local law library may also have resources for you.  

How to respond to a request for other order

  • Fill out forms

    Use the Responsive Declaration to Request for Order (form FL-320).

    This form lets you tell the judge and your spouse or other parent if you agree or disagree with the request and why. 

    For other order, fill out items 8 and 10. 

    In item 10 “Facts to Support” you can explain, by giving facts, your side. If you need more space, check the box that says “Attachment 10.” You can use Attached Declaration (form MC-031) to write the facts that support your response.  

    Depending on what's requested, you may also need to attach another form or a legal reason to support your position.

    If the other side asked for more than one thing in their Request for Order (form FL-300),

     like child custody or something else, use just one form to respond to all of their requests. Learn more about how to use the form on Information Sheet: Responsive Declaration to Request for Orders (form FL-320-INFO). 

  • Attach documents to support your case

    Sometimes it's important to have documents that support your case. If you have any, you can attach copies or file these with your request so the judge can consider them at the hearing.

    • Examples of documents that support your case include things like receipts or bills
    • Black out any private information like a Social Security number or account numbers
    • If there is a witness (someone who saw or personally knows something), you can ask them to write and sign a statement that says what they know. Learn more about witness statements.

    If you don't have these ready now, you can file them later.

  • Make copies of your forms

    After you’ve filled out, signed, and dated the form, make 2 copies. 

  • File your forms

    To file your form with the court, give the original and the 2 copies to the court clerk. The clerk will keep the original and will stamp the copies and return them to you. 


    Yes. Send the original and 2 copies to the attention of the clerk. You need to include a self-addressed stamped envelope so the clerk can mail your copies back to you. If you don’t, you will have to go to the courthouse to pick up your copies.
    Some courts allow online filing (called e-filing). You can find out if your court has online filing by visiting your court’s website.

Respond to a Request for Order

What's next?

Once you’ve filed the forms, the next step is to serve the forms to your spouse. You can serve these by mail.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Request for Order?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.