Default with agreement in a case for child custody and support

If you and the child's other parent are in agreement about all of the decisions they want the court to make, you can finish a case without you having to file a response.

You can agree to a default decision

If you don’t file a response to the Petition and Summons, the other person can request a default

If you don't respond, but have a written, notarized agreement with the person who started the case (the petitioner) the court can make orders about child custody and support based on your agreement and what the law says.

This is called a default with agreement. You don't file a response and when the other person requests a default, they give the court your written agreement and the court uses this to make a decision. The court will mail you a form (Notice of Entry of Judgment, form FL-190) letting you know your case is finished. If you don't get one in the mail, you can ask for a copy of your final court orders (Judgment, form FL-250) at the court where the case was filed.

Learn how to create an agreement and finish with a default judgment

success alert banner:

Have a question about Petition for Custody and Support?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.