Respond to the request to change your child's name

If you want to respond in writing to the other parent’s request to change your child’s name, you have to write out your response and file it in court.  

Before you start

You must file a response 2 courts days before the hearing

A court day is a day the court is open. This is Monday through Friday, not including any court holidays

You don't have to file a response if you agree

If you agree to your child’s name change, you do not have to do anything. If you agree but you want to see the judge, make sure you file a response. If you don’t respond at all, the court may cancel the court date and you will not have a chance to speak with the judge. 

How to respond to my child's name change request

  • Write out statement

    A person filling out a form.

    To respond, you write out your response on a piece of paper with the case number and case name.  

    You can use Declaration (form MC-030). 

    On your statement or Declaration, say if you agree or not with your child’s name change. If you disagree, explain why. Make sure you write your name, address and phone number, and sign the statement or the form. 

    Ask court Self-Help Center staff to review. 

    Your court’s Self-Help Center may be able to review your forms to make sure you’ll filled them out correctly before you move to the next step.
  • Make copies

    Make at least 1 copy of your statement or form. When you file it, the court will keep the original and return the copy to you, stamped. 

  • File response with the court

    members fo the public waiting in line to talk to the clerk

    File your response in the court where the case was filed. You can see the address on the paperwork you received. 

    To file your response with the court, give the original and copy to the court clerk. The clerk will keep the original and will stamp the copy and return it to you.

    Yes, you can file by mail. But it must get there by the deadline. Mail your original and the copy to the clerk. You need to include a self-addressed stamped envelope so the clerk can mail your copy back to you. If you do not include a self-addressed stamped envelope you will have to go to the courthouse to pick up your copy.

    Some courts allow online filing. You can find out if your court has online filing by visiting your court’s website.  

Name change for child

What's next?

Once you've filed your response, learn about what to expect at the hearing so you can prepare.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Name change?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.