What do these papers mean?

Civil Harassment Restraining Order (CH-109, CH-100, CH-110)

If you received any of these forms, someone asked for a restraining order against you:

A restraining order would limit your contact with the person asking for a restraining order. A restraining order could also impact your life in other ways, including preventing you from having guns and ammunition.

You have a court date where a judge will decide if they will grant the restraining order, which can last up to 5 years.

Highlight of Form CH-109 showing Notice of Hearing

When do I go to court?

Notice of Court Hearing (form CH-109)

This form tells you when you need to go to court. You have a court hearing (court date) because the person listed in number 1 has asked for a restraining order against you. If you do not agree to having a restraining order against you, you must go to court on your hearing date to tell the judge why you do not agree.  

Look at number 3 on this form to see the date, time, and location for your court hearing. 

If you don’t go to your court hearing, the judge can grant a restraining order against you that can last up to five years. 

What is the other side asking for?

Request for Civil Harassment Restraining Orders (form CH-100)

On form CH-100, the other side checked every order they want the judge to make (items 8-16). If you disagree with any of the orders the other side asked for, you must go to your court hearing to tell the judge why you do not agree. You may also tell the court in writing before the hearing date. 

Has the judge made any temporary orders against me?

Temporary Restraining Order (form CH-110)

This form tells you that the judge made temporary orders against you. Look through it carefully and follow all the orders. If you violate any of the orders you could be arrested, be sent to jail, or be charged with a crime. If you own any guns or ammunition, see below under "Do I need to complete any papers?" for what you need to do to comply with the judge's orders.

Do I need to complete any papers?

If there's a Temporary Restraining Order, you need to turn in a form saying what you did with your guns and firearms

If there is a temporary restraining order against you (see form CH-110), then you must turn in, sell, or store any guns or firearms you have or own. Learn more on how to comply.

If you do not comply, you could be arrested and charged with a state or federal crime.

Tell the judge your side of the story, in writing

While you wait for your court date, you also have the option of explaining what you want to happen in the case and why. If you need help, you can go to your local Self-Help Center.