Appeal (challenge) the judge's decision

If you were sued in a small claims case and the judge decided you owe money, you can challenge that decision by filing an appeal if you don't agree. You must file an appeal within 30 days from when the judge's decision (the Notice of Entry of Judgment (form SC-130 or SC-200)) was handed or mailed to you.

Before you start

You can only appeal a judge's decision when you owe money. Usually this means only the Defendant can appeal. But, if you're the Plaintiff and the Defendant sued you back and you lost on their claim, you can appeal that decision.

An appeal is not for you if you missed your court date. 

If you didn't go to your small claims court date, you can ask the court to cancel (vacate) what the judge decided that day and get a new court date.


How to appeal a small claims judgment

  • Fill out the Notice

    This form lets the court know that you are appealing the decision.

  • Make copies

    Make two copies of the Notice.

  • File the Notice and pay the filing fee

    To file your forms with the court:

    • Give the original and the 2 copies to the court clerk  

    • Pay a $75 fee 

    If you can't afford the fee, you can ask for a fee waiver.

    The clerk will give you a court date and mail a copy of the form with the court date to the other side.

Small claims appeals

What's next?

After you file your appeal and get your court date, it is time to prepare for your court date.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Small claims?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.