What to do when you get paid

When you are fully paid, you must fill out and file an Acknowledgment of Satisfaction of Judgment form. This is like a receipt for payment. The person who owed you money can use it to remove everything from their record that shows they owe you money.

You can be fined if you don't file the Acknowledgment as soon as you're paid. 

If you don’t file an Acknowledgment within 14 days of being paid, you can be fined and the other side could sue you.

How to let court know you're paid

  • Fill out form

    Usually you can use

    • Acknowledgment of Satisfaction of Judgment (form SC-290)

    This lets the court know that you were fully paid.

    • Acknowledgment of Satisfaction of Judgment (form EJ-100)

    This form lets the court know the money was paid and lists where you recorded an Abstract of Judgment. It must be signed in front of a notary.

    Fill out, but don't sign the Acknowledgment. Make 1 copy for each Abstract you recorded. Bring the Acknowledgment to a notary.

    You must sign the Acknowledgment(s) in front of a notary.

    a person getting documents reviewed by a notary
  • Make copies

    Make 2 copies of the form.

  • File forms

    File the completed and signed original and copies of the form with the court clerk. The clerk will stamp them and give you back the copies. One is for you. A second is for you to send the the other side.  

  • Mail or serve a copy to the other side

    Mail the other side a copy of the Acknowledgment of Satisfaction of Judgment

    If you had to use Form EJ-100 instead, 

    you must have it served. You can't do this yourself.


    Have someone 18 or older, not you or someone else involved in your case, mail or hand-deliver the Acknowledgment of Satisfaction of Judgment (form EJ-100) to whoever owed you money. The server must fill out a proof of service form, either a Proof of Personal Service (form POS-020) or a Proof of Service by First Class Mail (form POS-030). 
    File the Proof of Service with the court.

  • Remove liens (if any)

    If you put liens on the other side's property, you or the other side must remove them. To remove a lien, file a certified copy of the Acknowledgment of Satisfaction of Judgment (form EJ-100) with each county recorder's office where you put the lien on their property.

You are done. Your case is finished.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Small claims?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.