Cancel a signed Voluntary Decaration of Parentage

There are two ways to cancel a Voluntary Declaration of Parentage (or Paternity) (VDOP). Canceling (or rescinding) the VDOP ends the legal parent-child relationship created by the VDOP.

Options to cancel a VDOP

Cancel by submitting a form to DCSS 

  • If it's been less than 60 days since you or the other parent signed the VDOP, you can usually cancel the VDOP through the Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) by submitting a Recission Form

Cancel through the court

  • If it's more than 60 days since you signed the VDOP, you will need to file papers in court to ask a judge to cancel (set aside) the VDOP. 
  • If there's a court case about the child custody or support using the VDOP, then you can't use the Rescission Form. You will need to file papers to ask a judge to cancel the VDOP.
If you were a minor when you signed the VDOP, you can cancel the VDOP by submitting a form up until 60 days after you turn 18 or become emancipated, whichever comes first. After that, talk to your local Self-Help Center or an attorney to find out whether you can cancel or set aside the VDOP.

How to cancel VDOP

Either parent can cancel a VDOP by turning in a Rescission Form (form DCSS 0915) within 60 days from signing the VDOP. Only one parent needs to sign the Rescission Form. But, the other parent must get a copy.

To cancel it, within 60 days of signing: 
  1. Fill out a California Voluntary Declaration of Parentage (VDOP) Rescission (form DCSS 0915
  2. Sign the form in front of a Notary
  3. Make 2 copies of the form
  4. Send a copy of the signed form by certified mail to the other parent (keep the other copy for your records)
  5. Mail the original signed form and proof of mailing to the DCSS address listed on the form 

You can get more information about the Rescission Form and process from the Department of Child Support Services and your court's Self-Help Center staff. 

If you can't use the DCSS Rescission Form, you can file a form with the court asking the judge to cancel the VDOP. You will get a court date where you and the other parent will both get a chance to speak and the judge will decide whether to cancel the VDOP. You can also ask for genetic testing, if needed. 

In general, a judge can only cancel a VDOP if it's been less than 2 years since it was filed and there's a legal reason to cancel the VDOP. For example, if you can show that you only signed the VDOP due to fraud.

How to ask judge to cancel VDOP

success alert banner:

Have a question about Parentage?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.