After a judge grants you a civil harassment restraining order

If you've had your day in court and the judge granted you a long-term restraining order, you may have a couple more steps to take. 

Complete the steps below as quickly as you can. Finishing these steps means getting the paperwork you need to show police, if your restraining order is violated. If you do not complete these steps, you may have problems enforcing your restraining order.


Before you start

Consider getting help 

Your local Self-Help Center may be able to help you complete the necessary paperwork. Learn more about your local Self-Help Center.  

If you already have a copy of form CH-130, Civil Harassment Restraining Order After Hearing, signed by a judge, learn more about your next step.

To figure out your next step, look at form CH-130, item 13b, to see if the judge ordered you to have the restrained person served. Go here for step-by-step instructions on how to serve. If you don't need to serve form CH-130, learn more on how to enforce your order.

If you do not have form CH-130, Civil Harassment Restraining Order After Hearing, signed by a judge, this page gives you step-by-step instructions.

  • Fill out a form

    The court should give you notes to help you complete the form. These notes are usually called a minute order and should tell you exactly which orders the judge granted. Check each order the judge granted.
  • Turn in your form to the court clerk

    Give form CH-130 to the court clerk. The clerk will then give it to the judge to review and sign.  Ask the court clerk when your form will be ready to pick up. There is no fee for turning in this form.

    Is there another way to turn in my form?
    Some courts have a drop box that you can use. If you use a drop box include the original and 2 copies for the clerk. You will have to go to the courthouse to pick up your copies. Papers in the drop box may not be processed right away. If you can, take your papers to the court clerk to file so you do not experience delays. Some courts allow online filing. You can find out if your court has online filing by visiting your court’s website. 
  • Pick up your form from the court clerk

    Make sure to pick up form CH-130 from the court clerk as soon as possible. This form is your restraining order.

    You will likely need at least two copies. You can ask the court clerk for copies, if you need them. If you don't have a fee waiver, you may have to pay for copies.

    You should keep a copy with you at all times, and give a copy to anyone that you want to know about the restraining order, like your employer or school. 

What's next?

You may be required to serve (give) a copy of the restraining order to the restrained person.

Look on page 4 of form CH-130 to see if the judge has ordered you to serve the restrained person. If so, get step-by-step instructions on how to serve your restraining order.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Civil harassment restraining order?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.