After a judge grants you a restraining order

If you've had your day in court and the judge granted you a long-term restraining order, you may have a couple more steps to take. 

Complete the steps below as quickly as you can. Finishing these steps means getting the paperwork you need to show police, if your restraining order is violated. If you do not complete these steps, you may have problems enforcing your restraining order.


Before you start

Consider getting help 

Your local Self-Help Center may be able to help you complete the necessary paperwork. Learn more about your local Self-Help Center.  

If you already have a copy of form DV-130, Restraining Order After Hearing, signed by a judge, you do not need to follow the steps on this page. To figure out your next step, look at form DV-130, item 30, to see if the judge ordered you to have the restrained person served. Click for step-by-step instructions on how to serve. If you don't need to serve form DV-130, learn how to enforce your order

If you do not have form DV-130, Restraining Order After Hearing, signed by a judge, follow the steps below. Since you are the protected person, the judge may have ordered you to prepare this form.

  • Fill out a form

    The court should give you notes to help you complete the form. These notes are usually called a minute order and should tell you exactly which orders the judge granted. Check each order the judge granted.
  • Turn in your form to the court clerk

    Give form DV-130 to the court clerk. The clerk will then give it to the judge to review and sign.  Ask the court clerk when your form will be ready to pick up. There is no fee for turning in this form.

    Some courts have a drop box that you can use. If you use a drop box include the original and 2 copies to the clerk. You will have to go to the courthouse to pick up your copies. Papers in the drop box may not be processed right away. If you can, take your papers to the court clerk to file to avoid delays. Some courts allow online filing, also called efiling. You can find out if your court has online filing by visiting your court's website
  • Pick up your form from the court clerk

    Make sure to pick up form DV-130 from the court clerk as soon as possible. This form is your restraining order.

    Ask the court clerk for copies, if you need them. You will likely need at least two copies, and the court can give you up to three free copies.

    You should keep a copy with you at all times, and give a copy to anyone that you want to know about the restraining order, like a childcare provider or school. 

    Some courts may provide you with a copy by email. You should check in with the court clerk or self-help center to find out how to get your restraining order papers. 

What's next?

You may be required to serve (give) a copy of the restraining order to the restrained person. 

Look at form DV-130, item 30, to see if the judge has ordered you to serve the restrained person. If so, get step-by-step instructions on how to serve your restraining order. 

success alert banner:

Have a question about DVRO?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.