Ask to change or end a domestic violence restraining order

If you want to change or end any of the orders made by the judge in a Restraining Order After Hearing (form DV-130), you have to file court papers to make the request.

talking alert icon

This page has instructions on how to ask to change or to end a domestic violence restraining order (DVRO). Use different instructions to respond to the other side's request to change or end a DVRO or to ask to extend (renew) your current restraining order.

How to ask to change or end the orders

Forms will not save automatically. To save a form (so you can work on it later), download the form by clicking on the upper righthand corner, save to a computer that you can safely use, and open the saved form.
  • Fill out the Request for Order form

    Fill out Request for Order (form FL-300).

    • If you're asking to change one of the orders in the Restraining Order After Hearing, check the "Change" box along with what type of order you are asking to change.
    • If you're asking to end the domestic violence restraining order, check the "Domestic Violence Order" box. Then check "Other (specify)" and write "End restraining orders in form DV-130."
  • Fill out forms for specific situations

    You'll fill out more forms depending on what orders you're asking to change, if any.

    Ask to change custody, visitation (parenting time), or support orders. Get forms list

    To ask to change the child custody or visitation (parenting time) orders, fill out the Declaration Under Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (form FL-105). Also fill out any of the following forms that apply to your case:

    • Child Custody and Visitation (Parenting Time) Application and Attachment (form FL-311)
    • Request for Child Abduction Prevention Orders (form FL-312)
    • Children’s Holiday Schedule Attachment (form FL-341(C))
    • Additional Provisions—Physical Custody Attachment (form FL-341(D))
    • Joint Legal Custody Attachment (form FL-341(E))

    To ask to change the child support orders, fill out:

    • Current Income and Expense Declaration (form FL-150). You can fill out a Financial Statement (Simplified) (form FL-155) instead if you meet the requirements on page 2 of form FL-155.

    To ask to change the spousal or partner support orders (or orders about your finances), fill out:

    • Current Income and Expense Declaration (form FL-150).


    Ask for attorney's fees and costs. Get forms list
    To ask for orders for attorney’s fees and costs, fill out:
    • Current Income and Expense Declaration (form FL-150)
    • Request for Attorney’s Fees and Costs Attachment (form FL-319)
    • Supporting Declaration for Attorney’s Fees and Costs (form FL-158)


    See instructions if you plan to bring witnesses to testify
    If you plan on having a witness testify at the hearing, you will also need to fill out Witness List (form FL-321)


    illustration of someone asking for help

    If your court’s family law facilitator or Self-Help Center helps people with restraining order issues, ask them to review your paperwork. They can make sure you filled it out properly before you move ahead with your case.

  • Make copies of your forms

    Make at least 3 copies of all your forms. Two copies will be for you, one copy will be for the other person.  The original is for the court.

  • File your forms

    Take your original plus copies of all your forms to the court clerk. The clerk will keep the original and return the copies to you, with a court date and time stamped on the first page of the Request for Order (form FL-300).

    Generally, there is no filing fee to file a request to change or end a domestic violence restraining order. But, if the restraining order has ended and you are trying to change the child custody, visitation, or support orders, you may have to pay a filing fee. If you cannot afford to pay the fee, ask for a fee waiver.

    If you asked to change child custody or visitation orders, you may need to go to mediation or child custody recommending counseling before you see the judge. The papers you get back from the clerk will include information about it.

    Yes, you can file by mail. Mail the original and 2 copies to the clerk. You need to include a self-addressed stamped envelope so the clerk can mail your copies back to you. If you do not include a self-addressed, stamped envelope you will have to go to the courthouse to pick up your copies.  

    You can also use a drop box. This is a box outside the courthouse where you can drop off forms to be filed without going inside the court. If you use the drop box, you shoudl also include a self-addressed and stamped envelope so the clerk can mail the forms back to you with teh court date. If you do not, you will need to go back to pick up the forms.

    Some courts allow online filing (called e-filing). You can find out if your court has online filing by visiting your court’s website.  

success alert banner:

Have a question about DVRO?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.