Enforce a workplace violence restraining order

Now that a workplace violence restraining order is in effect, you may need to enforce it if the restrained person violates the order. Enforcing the order usually means calling the police to report a violation. The restrained person can go to jail or pay a fine if convicted of violating the restraining order.

Call 9-1-1 if you want the police to enforce your restraining order.


Keep a copy at the workplace at all times

You should have a copy of form WV-130 with you and at your workplace at all times. If you have a phone, use your phone to take a picture of all the pages so you always have proof of it. 

Give copies of the order to other people who may need it

You'll want to give copies of the restraining order to all protected employees and persons and encourage them to keep a copy of the WV-130 with them at all times. You'll also want to let other employees know about the restraining order.

You can give a paper copy to your local police department as well. This is optional because all law enforcement have access to restraining orders through a law enforcement database.

This may mean that the restraining order has not been entered into a law enforcement database, known as CLETS. The first step is to see if the restraining order has been signed by a judge and filed in your case. Check with your attorney or local Self-Help Center for help.

Find help or resources for stalking

There are resources to help you if your situation involves stalking. For information and help with safety planning, contact:

  • The Stalking Hotline to chat online, or call or text 1-855-484-2846. The hotline is available Monday-Friday 6am - 2pm.

What's Next?

success alert banner:

Have a question about Workplace violence restraining order?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.