Change child's name both parents


Change your child's legal name

In California, you can ask the court to legally change your child's name.


If you and the other parent agree to change your child’s name, you can file a petition with the court together and publish a notice in a newspaper. Then, you'll either have a court date (a hearing) where a judge will make a decision or the judge may make a decision without a hearing. Once the judge decides, you pick up a court order (a Decree) with your new name. The process generally takes up to 3 months.


Choose any part of the process below to get step-by-step instructions.