Change child's name one parent


Change your child's legal name

In California, you can ask the court to legally change your child's name. If you are the only parent making the request, you have to file a petition with the court, let the other parent know about it, and go to a court hearing. If your child’s other parent does not agree, they have the right to oppose your request.


If the judge approves your request, you will get a court order (decree) changing your child's name. The court process generally takes up to 3 months.


Choose any part of the process below to get step-by-step instructions.